The GMB is committed to protecting and furthering employment rights for any worker who considers themselves to be part of the LGBTI Community (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered or Intersex).
GMB Shout! is GMB’s self-organised network of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) members and aims to support any member experiencing workplace issues related to their sexuality or status. Additionally we engage with LGBT members across the region to encourage networking with regular events and meetings and to provide somewhere confidential to talk through anything concerning them.
GMB Shout! attends Pride events to engage with LGBT workers and to provide information on the importance of joining a trade union. We also promote and lobby for changes to further the employment rights of LGBT workers and for equal rights in society, both home and abroad.
We also challenge negative attitudes towards LGBT people and lobby for, promote, progress and publicise LGBT rights in the workplace and in local, regional, national and international campaigns.
We have already had successes in advising members and shop stewards, in campaigning, recruitment and assisting a number of other LGBT organisations.
We aim to:
- Challenge discrimination of LGBT people and all inequality.
- Recruit and support GMB LGBT members at work.
- Campaign and promote LGBT equality and human rights in the workplace, and locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Provide a safe forum where LGBT members can come together to talk about their issues, views, experiences and ideas.
- Network and work with others to build stronger LGBT communities.
We publish newsletters and send emails regularly on news, events, campaigns, conferences, etc. to our members and our supporters.